The Village of Algonquin (Pop. 30,700) is seeking is a problem-solver, innovator, and team-player who is ready to join our team as a Senior Planner in the Community Development Department. If selected, you will be joining a highly-skilled group of professionals who work tirelessly on behalf of our residents and policy makers to ensure an amazing and unique sense of place. Beyond the skills outlined below, we are seeking an individual who works well with others, is ethical, can multi-task, and treats others with dignity and respect. Most importantly, we are looking for someone who is willing and wants to innovate and think outside the box to move community and economic development initiatives forward.
GENERAL DUTIES: In this role you will be performing a variety of professional planning, research, and technical activities ranging from routine to varied and complex, in addition to managing economic development activities. Tasks will include, but are not limited to:
• Trains and supervises planning intern(s)
• Resolves issues with developers, builders, and engineers
• Reviews development proposals for zoning compliance, including responding to complaints, and prepares staff reports
• Works directly with Board/Commission Chair and members during and outside formal meetings to answer questions
• Performs field inspections to gather data as part of the development review process; verifies that development projects comply with approved plans
• Provides code information and compliance alternatives to developers, land owners, Village residents, and design professionals
• Assists the Community Development Director with analyzing pro forma, review financing and incentive opportunities, producing public presentations and media press releases on the Village’s current and planned economic development activity to the business community, governmental agencies, citizen groups, etc. and further business attraction efforts
• Assists the Community Development Director in the development and implementation of economic development strategies, policies, financial assistance, grant proposals, feasibility of projects, and comprehensively maintains and updates the website as it pertains to Economic Development, including appropriate recordkeeping, internal controls, and budget preparation
• In conjunction with other Community Development staff, provides staff support and makes presentations to the Village Board, Planning and Zoning Commission, Economic Development Commission, Historic Commission, Public Arts Commission, and other ad-hoc groups as may be required
• Participates in the development of policies and procedures; monitors work activities to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures; makes recommendations for changes and improvements to existing standards and procedures
• Prepares requests for proposals for outside contractors; drafts and administers contracts with outside consultants and applicants; oversees the maintenance of consultant schedules; oversees consultant records and invoices; reviews and approves invoices for payment
• Serves as project manager in the development of various planning projects and/or programs from conceptual design through final construction, including an update to the Village Comprehensive Plan
• Coordinates, researches, drafts, and presents various ordinances, amendments, and agreements
• Investigates complaints and recommends corrective action as necessary to resolve complaints relating to planning functions
Education/Experience: The successful candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Geography, Marketing, Advertising, Public Administration, or equivalent required. Three to five years of governmental planning and zoning administration or similar experience required. Master’s degree and/or American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), Certified Economic Developers (CEcd), or Economic Development Finance Professional (EDFP) certifications desired, but not required.
Skills: The successful candidate must have strong organization skills, the ability to work with a high degree of accuracy/attention to detail with multi-tasking capabilities, and the ability to work independently and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines in our fast-paced environment. The ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, is key in this position. Must also ensure best in class customer service is provided to both internal and external customers.
The successful candidate must have proven skills in using various software applications such as Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and GIS.