General Statement of Duties: Supervise, interpret, and communicate the fiscal operations of the Town, to support and provide guidance to Department Heads, Town Manager, Selectboard, and general public.
Supervision Received: Receives direct supervision from the Town Manager.
Supervision Exercised: Exercises direct supervision over all Finance Department staff and exercises independent authority over financial matters in support of all governmental operations.
Illustrative Examples of Work:
- Evaluate, develop, and recommend fiscal policy that will result in sound fiscal management and effective internal financial controls.
- Analyze, interpret, and communicate financial operating results and projections to provide information and guidance to Town officials and provide technical support to Town departments.
- Maintain all official accounting records in conformance with generally accepted government accounting principles.
- Oversee the payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable processes, including maintaining a purchasing policy manual and purchase order system.
- Supervise and train assigned personnel to ensure development of full work potential.
- Coordinate the annual audit and prepare the Town’s Annual Financial Report.
- Assist the Town Manager and department heads with the preparation of the annual budget and Town Report.
- Monitor and control all expenditures in accordance with budget appropriations and funding regulations.
- Establish financial and budgetary control measures.
- Develop the necessary financial forms, receipts, vouchers, bills, and claims to be used within the organization.
- Oversee the billing and collection of property taxes and water/sewer user fees, including the development of annual property tax and utility billing rates.
- Manage the Town's investment program and forecasts financial needs, cash flow, and revenue trends.
- Extensive experience in financial management and fund accounting. Public finance experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of regulations, policies, and procedures which apply to accounting and financing in municipal government.
- Ability to formulate, initiate and administer policies and procedures for effective fiscal control.
- Proven ability to plan, delegate, and supervise personnel.
- Ability to present and communicate ideas and concepts in public and private, verbally and in writing.
Work Environment: Work is performed mostly in office settings. Extensive use of computer and keyboard. Must tolerate moderate noise levels and interruptions in an office environment. Occasional evening meetings are required.