The Research Symposium is presented each year at the ICMA Annual Conference, typically on Sunday, from 10 a.m.–2:45 p.m.
The goals of this event are to:
- Increase practitioner-academic dialogue about research needs in the profession;
- Provide an opportunity and platform for professors and graduate students to present papers and research, seek feedback, and engage with practitioners;
- When possible, engage PhD students and early-career academics to share their research or studies;
- Provide a venue for academic members and non-members of ICMA to present at a national conference of peers and practitioners.
Please see details in the final program for a list of presentations and presenters.
To submit a presentation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Recommendations for Presenters
- Involve managers as commentators who are familiar with the issue/topic being presented by the academic or who have a vested interest in the topic
- If interested, academic presenters should provide the manager-commentator with an advance copy of their research presentation (two weeks before the ICMA conference)
- The commentators should offer suggestions for additional research questions that should be considered that address the issues that managers must deal with
- Post-presentation, engage the manager-commentator, audience, and academic presenter in a dialogue on the research topic and how the study can be adapted to meet the manager's needs
- All presentations should strive to be “TED-like” and no longer than 15 minutes, with 5-10 minutes for questions and discussion or a total of 20 minutes per presentation
- Ideally, also throw in a mindbender from the academic community’s perspective!