Key Services to Thrive in Local Government
The ICMA Coaching Program delivers a suite of services to help you grow and enjoy your career.
- 6 live Webinars per year spotlighting best practices on key topics from local government professionals throughout the U.S. -- invite your whole team to participate.
Download the 2018 Webinar Flyer.
- Digital Agendas and Archives with video recordings and extensive presentation materials and examples from dozens of sessions available in a convenient online library--delivering you "professional development in a box"--when you want it and where you want it.
- 1-1 Coaching Resources to provide personalized support.
- Talent Development Resources to make greater use of your talent and have fun doing it.
- Speed Coaching session at the ICMA Annual Conference and templates for use at local level -- expand your networks.
- Career Stories of ICMA leaders and rising stars offering career insights and tips.
- Career Compass columns that address critical career issues.
All available without charge to promote professional development at all levels of local government.
Former ICMA President Lee Feldman highlights value of coaching
Coaching is like a tune up for your career. Everyone can benefit from it. Watch Lee's explanation.
Who is Coaching for? What does it offer?
Everyone! Coaching offers value for people at any stage in their careers. As in sports, coaching helps even the best players do better. Why? Because everyone can benefit from sharing best practices and gaining perspectives from others who can help them see their situation and opportunities from a fresh perspective. That's why we organize the Coaching program webinars to serve as whole team learning experiences. It's also why the Speed Coaching and 1-1 Coaching models provide a structure for advice at multiple stages in a career.
Join the COMPLIMENTARY COACHING PROGRAM EMAIL LIST
To sign up for the Coaching Program email list, you will need an ICMA account. If you do not have an account, it is easy and free to set one up. Select “Create Account” in the upper right hand corner of this page and follow the steps.
Once you are logged into your account, you can manage your Communication Preferences in your profile. Scroll down to Subscriptions and click the box next to ICMA Coaching. You will now receive ICMA Coaching Emails!
How did Coaching Program start and grow?
The Cal-ICMA Coaching Program began in 2003 with a cadre of 40 volunteers led by co-chairs: city managers Frank Benest and Tim O'Donnell and up an comer Amy Cunningham. They contracted with Don Maruska, MBA, JD, and Master Certified Coach, to be the paid Director to deliver best practices in coaching and organize the coaching program components. Sponsors, most notably the League of California Cities and the California City Management Foundation and dozens more (non-profits and corporate), provided the funding. Seeing the success, ICMA provided additional funding to expand the program to serve other state associations. Thus, the program grew from 15 people on a teleconference in 2004 to more than 1000 on a webinar in 2015 with 15 other ICMA State Association joining as Partners. In 2015, ICMA secured the support of ICMA-RC to serve as a national Platinum Sponsor to take the program nationwide in 2016. The history of the program is a model of a state initiative growing with ICMA to serve the profession as a whole.
Do you have questions or ideas to enhance the Coaching Program?
The ICMA Coaching Program also receives major ongoing funding from
- Cal-ICMA Coaching Program
Granicus, an ICMA Strategic Partner, kindly provides the technology for hosting the Agendas & Archives for webinars.
The ICMA Coaching Program has the strong backing of the following ICMA State Association Coaching Partners:
Alabama, Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.