This ICMA University Online Classroom webinar provides local governments strategies for addressing recycling issues in their communities
The recycling programs of hundreds of municipalities across the United States were thrown into disarray last year when China established a significantly more rigid criteria for the types of recyclable materials they would accept. This change has both considerably increased the cost of many communities' waste management programs while also forcing some of them to send previously recyclable materials to landfills and incinerators.
In this webinar, you'll join a panel of local government waste management experts as they discuss how the communities they serve have adapted to these changes, and share strategies that may be useful to your own municipality.
During this session, you will discuss:
- The background to last year's shakeup in municipal waste management
- How Fort Collins and Mecklenburg County have responded to these new challenges
- Understanding alternate ways to set up programs for durability
- Caroline Mitchell, lead waste reduction and recycling specialist, Fort Collins, CO
- Jeffrey Smithberger, director of solid waste management, Mecklenburg County, NC
- Richard Coupland III, vice president, Municipal Sales Republic Services
- May 28, 2019
- 01:00 pm 02:30 pm ET
- Registration Deadline: 05/29/2019
- Member Price:$249.00