Timisoara, Romania | April 18-22, 2019
ICMA’s 6th International Regional Conference will take place April 18-22, in Timisoara, Romania. A networking and professional development opportunity open to all members and affiliates, the Conference will take place in conjunction with individual meetings and joint sessions by the ICMA International Committee meeting, European City Managers’ Network meeting, and Association of Public Administrators in Romania meeting. The Conference will encourage an exchange of knowledge and experiences on Smart Cities, Tourism, and Public Transportation. There will also be a conversation on improving relations between ICMA and international affiliates organizations open to all participants. ICMA’s international affiliate, the Association of Public Administrators in Romania (AAPRO), will be hosting the conference.
Don't wait! Register for the International Regional Conference by February 15, 2019.
Tentative Schedule of Events
A full printable agenda will be available closer to the Conference date.
Day 1: Thursday, April 18
- Arrival of ICMA International Committee members
- Airport: Traian Vuia International Airport in Timisoara (Airport Code: TSR)
- Hotel: Hotel Timisoara
- 8:00 p.m. - Welcome Cocktail; Location: Hotel Timisoara
Day 2: Friday, April 19
- 10:00 a.m. - Meeting with Mayor of Timisoara; Location: Timisoara City Hall
- 10:30 a.m. - Press Conference; Location: Timisoara City Hall
- 12:00 p.m. - Boat Trip on Bega River: First Romanian City with Public Transportation on Water; Location: Mihai Viteazu Bridge
- 2:00 p.m. - Historic City Center – Walking Tour of Timisoara; Location: Victory Square
- 5:00 p.m. – Timfloralis – Timisoara Flower Festival (3 -day event); Location: Victory Square, Liberty Square
- 8:00 p.m. – Gala Dinner; Location: GALLA EVENTS
Day 3: Saturday, April 20
- 8:00 a.m. – International Committee Meeting; European City Managers’ Network Meeting; & Association of Public Administrators in Romania Meeting
- 12:30 p.m. – Smart Cities Panel
- 1:30 p.m. - Lunch Hosted by ICMA Europe & mmcité3
- 2:30 p.m. - How to Improve Relations Between ICMA & International Affiliate Organizations: A Conversation with IC, AAPRO, and ECMN
- 5:00 p.m. – Field Trip: Tourism Tram; Location: Liberty Square
- 8:00 p.m. – Dinner; Location: Hotel Timisoara
Day 4: Sunday, April 21
- 2:00 p.m.* – Field Trip – How to Build International Tourism Based on a Local Story: Dracula’s Castle
- 8:30 p.m. – Dinner; Location: Wine Cellar in Aiud
*The bus will depart from Hotel Timisoara at 7:00 a.m. This is a 6-hour bus ride to Dracula’s Castle.
Day 5: Monday, April 22
- 10:00 a.m. – Tour of the Alba Carolina Citadel
- 12:00 p.m. - Alba Iulia Smart City Presentation
- 1:00 p.m. - Lunch; Location: Pub 13 Restuarant
- 2:00 p.m. – Departure to Timisoara
Hotel Timisoara will be the official hotel for the International Regional Conference. Please do not book your hotel reservations until after conference registration has closed as to ensure hotel availability for all our guests.
U.S. citizens do not need a visa for tourist or business travel in Romania. More details can be found here.
It is better to have cash on hand which can be exchanged at a lot of places in the city (not at the airport). If you pay with credit card, please keep in mind that you will lose money at each exchange as transactions will go from Dollars to EURO and EURO to RON. Tourist information can be found here. Souvenirs can be bought from the city center or one of the two shopping malls in Timisoara: Iulius Mall and Shopping City Timisoara.
Please note that weather in Timisoara is generally 20° Celsius/68° Fahrenheit during the day and 12° Celsius/53° Fahrenheit at night.
- April 18 - 22, 2019
- 08:00 pm 02:00 pm
- Registration Deadline: 02/15/2019
- Member Price:Not available
- Non-Member:Not available