This ICMA University Online Classroom webinar provides steps you can take to cultivate a strong council-manager relationship.
A strong council-manager relationship is an important component for an efficient local government, as conflict with elected officials can muddle policy direction, hamper innovation, and hinder service delivery, among other consequences.
While these effects can hurt staff performance and reduce public confidence in your organization, there are a number of steps your government can take to avoid these pitfalls and establish a bond of mutual respect and understanding.
During this session you will discuss:
- How to communicate clearly and effectively with elected officials
- Approaches to dealing with council members wanting to become involved in matters within the manager's purview
- Strategies for handling disputes with council members
- How to effectively plan and conduct orientations, meetings, and retreats
- Kevin C. Duggan, West Coast Regional Director, ICMA
- Cheryl Hilvert, Midwest Regional Director, ICMA
- March 13, 2019
- 01:00 pm 02:30 pm ET
- Registration Deadline: 03/14/2019
- Member Price:$149.00