In this Issue:
- Download the Conference App!
- More Seats Have Been Added: InclUSiveness . . . It starts with US♀♂ - Why Gender Equality Is Good for Everyone—Men Included.
- Located Near a Military Installation? Check out this special session: Public-Public Partnerships Shared Services Between Communities and Military Installations
- SAS Giveaway
- Opportunity to Provide Feedback on US Department of Energy Projects
- Goodbye Dog Catcher
- Can't Make it to San Antonio? Join Us Virtually! It's New and Improved! (The ICMA Virtual Conference provides a low cost, no travel alternative to the expert local government training offered at the onsite event.)
- Tips for First-time Attendees
- #LocalGovGo: Win Free Registration to #ICMA2018
- Sign-up for the 2017 ICMA World Cup Soccer Match
- Discounted SeaWorld Tickets
- Book signings at the Annual Conference
Download the Conference App!
Again this year, the ICMA Annual Conference is offering a variety of ways to stay connected during the conference using any type of mobile device. You can stay connected through the ICMA 2017 annual conference app, social media, and more!
More Seats Have Been Added! InclUSiveness . . . It starts with US♀♂ - Why Gender Equality Is Good for Everyone—Men Included
ICMA University Symposium with the League of Women in Government
There is no fee, but pre-registration is required to reserve your seat for this ICMA University Symposium on Saturday, October 21, from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. InclUSiveness . . . It starts with US♀♂ - Why Gender Equality Is Good for Everyone—Men Included. Michael Kimmel, sociologist, author, and one of the world’s leading experts on men and masculinity makes a practical case for supporting gender equality: not just because it’s the right thing to do.
If you’ve already registered for the conference, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to add this session to your registration.
Public-Public Partnerships Shared Services Between Communities and Military Installations
Sunday, October 22 1:30-2:45pm
This special session, of special interest to those located near military installations, will explore a provision in the National Defense Authorization Act that allows military installations to receive, provide, or share services with local governments that few communities and bases are taking advantage of; details are below. Click the link below to add this event to your calendar, and email email@example.com for additional information or to request follow-up information post-session. Federal law allows military installations to acquire services from neighboring local governments, but few communities create these partnerships. Learn from managers and base commanders about how to create a sole-source intergovernmental support agreement partnering with a nearby military base, and other opportunities that can benefit the wider community.
Squeezed between rising demands and a lean budget? Learn how government officials are using analytics to accomplish more, solve problems quicker, spend less, and be more effective. ICMA recommends that managers and their staff read A Practical Guide to Analytics for Government by Marie Lowman in which she and other industry experts explain how governments can use emerging technologies to leverage their growing stores of data. Stop by the SAS booth (#1225) during our annual conference to pick up your free copy of A Practical Guide to Analytics for Governments. A limited number of copies are available so stop by soon.
Give Your Feedback on Department of Energy Projects
The U.S. Department of Energy wants to hear from you! During this session, you’ll be asked to share your opportunities and needs in key areas of community-scale energy innovation. What are effective strategies, tools, and resources that could support you as leaders in energy planning? Do you have feedback on current DOE projects? A key topic DOE will be prepared to discuss is how local governments can finance energy initiatives and the return on investment. Participants are encouraged to reach out to the session organizer in advance to suggest other topics. Session Organizer: Andrea Fox, ICMA, Deputy Director of Global Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org Join us Tuesday, October 24, 2:00-3:10 in room 221A for the session “Energy Innovation: A Local and Federal Dialogue.”
Learn how the role of the “dog catcher” is being redefined. The Best Friends Animal Society will conduct a roundtable discussion on Tuesday, October 24, from 12:45 – 1:45 p.m. and will have a booth at the conference as well. Come say hello and join an engaging discussion about how animal services agencies around the country are partnering with Best Friends to create safe, humane communities.
Can't Make it to San Antonio-Join Us Virtually!
When travel restrictions or budget constraints prevent you from attending the annual conference, consider the ICMA Virtual Conference -- You can watch it live or watch it later.
It's a new and improved virtual conference!
- easier navigation
- streaming interviews
- a networking lounge and
- a virtual exhibit hall
Watch it Live
Your virtual registration includes:
- Multi-track session broadcast of 16 hours of expert local government advice, insights and training including keynotes at the 103rd Annual Conference in San Antonio
- NEW! The opportunity to ask questions of our expert speakers through live Q&A and chat functions as part of the online audience
- Access to all session handouts
- NEW! Entry to an exclusive ICMA Virtual Conference networking
- NEW! Enter the Virtual Exhibit Hall: Interact with vendors, such as Microsoft, ESRI, Buxton, Neogov, SAS and others about cutting edge products and services to help your organization meet its goals
Register now and catch all 16 sessions including keynotes on-demand at any time. Either way, this is one conference you can't afford to miss. Register now and pay just $249 (ICMA Members) $349 (Nonmembers) for a year's worth of professional development for you and your staff.
Watch it Later
- You can register for the virtual event through October 25 and access the content live or later when the session ends.
- Miss a session? View it later! On-demand access to the sessions for one year; and keynotes until December 27, 2017
- After the live event, you will have access to the content for one full year, with the exception of the keynote sessions, which are available for 60 days after the conference ends.
- Schedule training and discussion sessions for your staff using the archived virtual conference content for year-long professional development.
Reserve Your Virtual Seat Today!
(Note: the virtual conference is included in the registration fee for conference attendees. Access will be available after the Annual Conference ends.)
Tips for First-time Attendees
To make the most of your first time at the Annual Conference check out this collection of blog posts from former first-timers. If you have tips for first-timers - we welcome your comments or write a blog post and tag it Annual Conference, and we will share with other first-time attendees!
#LocalGovGo! - Win a free registration to #ICMA2018
#LocalGovGo!: Attendees have the opportunity to win free registration to ICMA's 104th ICMA Annual Conference in Baltimore with the Instagram photo contest #LocalGovGo! Attendees can look for more information on how to play in their registration bag and on signs around the Convention Center.
Sign-up for the 2017 ICMA World Cup Soccer Match
Pack your soccer boots for our annual game at the ICMA conference -- good friends, good times and good fun!
The group and fun just keeps getting bigger and better! Bring a white or black jersey, water and your game. Recreational play for fun. Safety first.
Game Day: Sunday, October 22
Pre-game meet up: 8:30 a.m. at the main entrance of the Convention Center on Market Street. We will walk to the park together.
Game Location: Victoria Park, 800 East Cesar Chavez Blvd. San Antonio, TX 78210
Game Time: 9:00 a.m.
Discounted SeaWorld Tickets
During your stay in San Antonio, make time to enjoy the most amazing day at SeaWorld San Antonio, the largest marine life park in the world! Get discounted tickets before your visit, to save $34 off the standard rate - It is an amazing value at $40.00 (standard gate $74)! Visit the website for all the SeaWorld San Antonio park information as your amazing experience awaits.
Book signings at the Annual Conference
Keynote and featured speakers will be signing their books at the Annual Conference. Books are for sale only at the conference registration desk; no books are being sold inside the Pavilion, where most signings will take place. Purchase your books at registration before the signings.
RABIA SIDDIQUE , will be signing her book Equal Justice - following her keynote session on Sunday, October 22, 5:15–6:15 p.m., in the ICMA Pavilion, Exhibit Hall 3, Street Level.
RICHARD FLORIDA , will be signing his book, The New Urban Crisis - following his breakout session on Monday, October 23, 11:15 a.m.–12:15 p.m., in the ICMA Pavilion, Exhibit Hall 3, Street Level.
STEPHANIE MEEKS , will be signing her book, The Past and Future City - on Monday, October 23, 2:30–3:30 p.m., in the ICMA Pavilion, Exhibit Hall 3, Street Level.
SIMON BAILEY , will be signing his book, Shift Your Brilliance, immediately following his keynote session on Wednesday, October 25, 10:30–11:30 a.m., in the Stars at Night Ballroom Lobby, Ballroom Level.