The 2018 VLGMA Summer Conference was June 20-22 at the Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel. This conference continued and buillt off of our amazing winter conference with the theme: “The Doctor is In: Facilitating Healing and Growth in the Midst of Conflict and Controversy.” The focus was on how we, as managers, can be agents of reconciliation and relationship-building in our organizations, communities and world.
- Deborah Roberts led a pre-conference workshop, “Courage: Strategies for Stability Amid Chaos."
- Dr. Blue Wooldridge of the National Academy of Public Administration and VCU’s Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs shared insights into what created perceptions of inequality and injustice and how managers can influence reform and healing and reduce the possibility of conflict.
- Stephanie Davis of Virginia Tech presented findings from her research into the benefits, barriers and considerations around regional collaborations in Virginia.
- A panel of experienced retired and active managers shared frank lessons learned from their successes (and, perhaps, failures) dealing with community conflicts.
- Speed coaching and Roundtables were back!
- Jeff Mincks, Chesterfield County Attorney presented “How Elected Officials Think."
- Ken McFadyen, President of the Virginia Economic Developers Association, spoke to localities’ perspectives on economic development and changes at the Virginia Economic Development Partnership as well as General Assembly items.
- And something new…our first ever Paint Night! An evening of food, music, fellowship and creative expression was enjoyed by all!
Bret Schardein and David Moorman, Conference Co-Chairs