Are you a mid-career professional or do you know someone who is?
Registration is NOW OPEN FOR THE 2017-18 INSTITUTE
- New to local government but not new to management?
- An experienced local government department head looking to make the jump to the manager's seat?
- Ready to connect with other mid-career professionals to identify and develop signature leadership practices and strengthen core management skills?
- Looking for your next challenge?
If so, ICMA invites you to join the 2017-2018 ICMA Mid-Career Managers Institute. This 18-month leadership development institute is designed to meet the specific needs of mid-career managers. Program details are available here.
Photo from the 2016 SE Summit
Photos from the 2015 Mountain Plains and West Coast Regional Summits: Mid Career Managers Meeting
ICMA identifies mid-career as those who hold leadership positions in their organizations, military, public/private sector, academies; and managers/assistants/department heads not ready to be credentialed but looking for their next challenge. The Institute also provides a focused educational experience for members already credentialed.
The Institute is designed to enhance and develop participants’ leadership abilities and effectiveness. This is accomplished by providing:
- Broader understanding of their responsibilities as leaders;
- Perspective on some of the critical leadership and management issues facing mid-career managers; and
- Understanding and awareness of concepts and techniques relevant to local government management.
Completion of the Institute will count as six-months of executive experience credit towards becoming a Credentialed Manager. To earn this credit, participants must complete a Management Application Project, supervised by a local government mentor.
2017-18 Institute Details:
- Participants will attend their Regional Summit in the spring of 2017. For information about the Regional Summits visit the ICMA website. Regional Summits include an ICMA University workshop, where program participants gather with other Summit attendees.
- Participants will attend the ICMA 103nd Annual Conference in San Antonio/Bexar County, Texas
October 22-25, 2017
- Participants will attend the Annual Leadership Institute Session, held in conjunction with the Annual Conference.
- Four mini-courses, taught via conference call, will occur throughout the duration of the program.
- Participants will be assigned a credentialed manager to serve as his/her coach.
- In recognition of the professional-development commitment and contribution to the profession by graduates of ICMA's Mid-Career Managers Institute, the ICMA Executive Board will award six months of executive-experience credit toward meeting requirements of becoming an ICMA Credentialed Manager upon completion of this program. To earn this credit, participants must complete a Management Application Project, supervised by a local government mentor.
The Institute has a registration fee of $1,750 and includes:
- Admission to both the Regional Summit (with workshop) and the ICMA Annual Conference.
- Admission to the Annual Leadership Institute Session, held in conjunction with the ICMA Annual Conference.
- Four mini-courses, occurring throughout the duration of the Institute.
- Credentialed manager to serve as his or her coach.
- Completion of a Management Application Project ensures participant receives 6-months credit towards Credentialing
Participants will greatly benefit from also registering for an ICMA University Workshop at the ICMA Annual Conference.
Reference Documents for Participants and Mentors
Guidelines for Credentialing Credit and Mentoring
MAP Mentor Guidelines chart