The Five Pavilion Bridge in Yangzhou
On May 11-15, 2014, ICMA, the City of Yangzhou, and the ICMA China Center sponsored ICMA’s first International Regional Summit, which took place in Yangzhou. Participants included ICMA members and representatives of ICMA’s international affiliates; Chinese government officials; and professors from the China University of Political Science and Law (CUPL). The annual spring meeting of the ICMA International Committee also occurred during the event.
Summit presentations centered on the theme “Eco-Friendly Urbanization” and addressed sustainable development initiatives such as clean energy, clean water, clean air, and brownfields redevelopment—all of which are getting increasing attention among local government officials around the world. Chinese cities have been experiencing significant urbanization, making environmental challenges critical concerns for local government.
The agenda featured keynote sessions, presentations, site visits, and panel discussions highlighting international perspectives on sustainable development. Three U.S. cities formalized EcoPartnerships with Chinese towns, and seven ICMA members served as guest lecturers at various venues while they were in the country.
Other highlights included
- Formal agreements to establish an ICMA training base in China
- Presentation of the results of an ICMA-funded survey of Chinese small town development and citizen satisfaction
- A forum on "Urban Governance in the Backdrop of China's New Urbanization" sponsored by CUPL's Center for Cooperative Innovation for Governance by Law
- The debut of the Life, Well Run video translated into Mandarin
- Pre- and post-summit study tours that provided an opportunity for participants to enrich their experience through interaction with Chinese local government officials and visits to some of the country’s premier historical and cultural sites
- The spring meeting of the ICMA International Committee
Download the agenda and study tour schedule for an overview of events and presentations, and watch the ICMA website for information about future opportunities to participate in ICMA activities in China.
ICMA International Regional Summit Agenda, Yangzhou, China, May 11-15, 2014
ICMA China Center Study Tours, May 2014