A Public Awareness Campaign
Life, Well Run is ICMA’s campaign to raise awareness of the role professional local government managers play in building communities we're proud to call home.
These managers play a pivotal role in making local government and the services it provides more effective, efficient, ethical, and transparent.
Yet, perhaps because managers are so good at what they do and shun the limelight, some elected officials may not fully appreciate their professionalism, and many in the public are unaware the job even exists.
RAISING THE PROFILE OF PROFESSIONAL MANAGEMENT
These factors, combined with demographics -- the baby boomer managers who were inspired to public service by President John F. Kennedy have begun to retire -- have formed the perfect storm for professional management.
We must act now to ensure the future of the profession, to make sure there are qualified professionals to serve the residents of this country’s cities, towns, and counties.
pilot campaign achievements
Beginning in summer 2012, ICMA ran pilot campaigns in the cities of San Antonio and Seguin, Texas, and the communities of Woodridge, Glenview, and Lake County, Illinois.
The pilot campaigns provided a test run of messages, themes, and tactics. Achievements included:
- Life, Well Run website created
- Twelve videos targeted to the individual communities produced and released. The videos, which feature local civic and elected leaders, have been viewed by thousands.
- Campaign news picked up by local and national media, including CNBC.com, Yahoo News, Wall Street Journal Market Watch, U.S. Politics Today, Sacramento Bee, Boston Globe, Reuters, Atlanta Business Chronicle, Houston Chronicle, Austin Business Journal, Dallas Business Journal, San Antonio Business Journal, San Francisco Chronicle, Miami Herald, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Kansas City Star
- Social media campaign established and continuing to grow
To learn more, visit the campaign's official website at LifeWellRun.org.
ICMA will soon launch a national campaign to reach target audiences including business leaders, elected officials, teachers, students, and future professional managers.
The national campaign will build on lessons learned in the pilot communities and will engage ICMA members in an effort that will spread across the country.
Resources for Members
How you can support the campaign
- Tell us about your proudest moment as a manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Link to the Life, Well Run website
- Help us build our social media community.
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and encourage your friends and colleagues to do so as well.
- Show the Life, Well Run videos on your local cable stations.
- Use the Life, Well Run messages in your communications
- Make a donation to help launch the national Life, Well Run campaign this summer.