To further the mission and goals of the ICMA Strategic Partnership Program and to reinforce ICMA’s continuing commitment to enhancing the quality and professionalism of local government, a corporate code of ethics (mirroring the ideals embodied in ICMA’s Code of Ethics) as adopted by ICMA’s Board in April 1996 to guide Strategic Partners in their activities with ICMA and its members. These principles shall govern the conduct and actions of ICMA Corporate Partners, who shall:
- Be dedicated to the concepts of effective and democratic local government by responsible elected officials and believe that professional management is essential to achieving these goals.
- Affirm the dignity and worth of the services rendered by government and maintain a constructive, creative, and practical attitude toward local government affairs.
- Be dedicated to the highest ideals of honor and integrity in all facets of the relationship, so that the partners merit the respect and confidence of members of the corporate organization and members of ICMA, local government elected officials and employees, and the public.
- Recognize that the chief function of local government at all times is to serve the best interests of the public.
- Recognize and support ICMA members' commitment to career-long learning and improvement of local government management techniques.
- Encourage communication and participation in information-sharing among the private sector, local government, and the public.
- Resist any encroachment on local government managers' professional responsibilities, believing that professional local government managers should be free to carry out official policies without outside interference or influence.
- Respect the open, competitive purchasing process of local governments, and provide full value in any goods or services for which public funds are accepted.
- Neither seek nor grant favors; believe that aggrandizement or profit secured by the use of confidential information, abuse of trust, or the promise of personal enrichment is dishonest.
For more information about becoming an ICMA Strategic Partner, contact Erin Carr at 202-962-3697 or firstname.lastname@example.org.