Welcome to ICMA's new Job Center! ICMA has made a significant investment in a new platform to integrate the job advertising and search features into ICMA's web site and Knowledge Network. We have some great new features,and plans to launch more including feedback from users. If you have a request or idea, please send it to email@example.com. In the meantime, please explore the frequently asked questions below.
- What are some of the new system features?
- What happened to the old resume function and job alerts?
- Where can I find career resources?
- Jobs are tagged to topic areas? Explain!
- What are some of the future features you have planned?
- I have another question!
What are some of the new system features?
Our new job board functionality is now integrated with the ICMA web site and Knowledge Network, and allows for a more seamless interaction for both advertisers, and job seekers. In addition to preserving many of the options of the old site...
- An interactive Google map so candidates can view opportunities by geographic region
- New search and slider features to help customize your search
- Jobs can be tagged by employers to topic area, so they will "float in" to topic pages in the Knowledge Network
- You can isolate your search by state
- Jobs can now have employer-provided attachments
- Search box and jobs feed right on the Careers home
- All ads appear by default in the ICMA member newsletter, Leadership Matters. Since that's a lot of ads, new ads (posted within the last seven days) are indicated by an orange star. This means that the ads are new to that issue (in your inbox) or within seven days old if you're looking at it online. For example:
City of Anytown, IL (population)
City Manager. Salary: DOQ
What happened to the old resume function and job alerts?
ICMA was not able to port-over the resume feature from our old job center easily, and data showed that relatively few employers were currently using the function. ICMA now has a detailed online profile that we recommend you complete while we develop a new system in conjunction with employers and executive recruiters.
The old job alerts were discontinued (they couldn't come with us!). Setup new job agents to notify you within your ICMA notifications or by email of jobs matching your predefined search criteria. You can manage your job agents by saving a search, or using the Job Search tab in your ICMA profile.
Where can I find career resources?
You can find career resources in the topic area in the Knowledge Network. Several useful resources can be found direct linked in the menu items across the top in the dark blue bar. Resources job seekers might find useful include:
Jobs are tagged to topic areas? Explain!
Topic areas are a feature of ICMA's web site and Knowledge Network, where you can find a complete list of topic areas. This is one of several features that sets ICMA's Job Center apart from the competition. Each job is tagged to the most appropriate topic by the employer, related to the job function or department. Topic tags help jobs appear across our web site, in topic pages, groups, and near relevant questions. For example, an ad for Sustainability Manager would appear in the Sustainability topic page, in the Sustainability group, or with the Brownfields or Solar Communities groups, helping your ad reach a wider and more relevant audience beyond direct visits to the Job Center or in the newsletter distribution.
What are some of the future features you have planned?
- Job seeker profiles (expanded from Who's Who)
- Community profiles - build a profile for your community to help the job seeker understand your environment
- Mentor/coaching match
- State affiliate posting
- Location info (e.g. distance from target location), weather, cost of living, and other data to assist the job seeker
- Job alerts, a feature of the old site, will be tested shortly after the new site launches
I have another question!
If you have a question that wasn't answered here, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be glad to help!