Thank you for using ICMA’s Career Network to advertise your executive opportunity. We wish you great success with your recruitment efforts. You may wish to consult the following resources available from ICMA to assist you with your search and hiring process:
- Model Employment Agreement: The model employment agreement is a template for administrators of municipal governments. Useful for both the council and the manager.
- ICMA urges employers to verify resume details when conducting an executive or other search to ensure that accurate credentials have been presented.
- ICMA maintains a list of executive search firms to assist those who would like to contract out their search. Contact ICMA for a complimentary copy. We do not endorse any of these firms, but we provide them to you as an information resource.
- We have a few sample RFPs for executive search services; searching in our Knowledge Network documents may reveal more as they are added:
- ICMA maintains a job center targeted to ICMA members and other local government professionals. Designed to be self-service, our state of the art online job board is available directly to local governments and recruiters alike.
- ICMA's Knowledge Network has a collection of sample job descriptions for your use when crafting or revising your own. Below are specific examples, and additional CAO and non-CAO position descriptions are available in the job descriptions topic area:
Code of Ethics and Membership
- ICMA is concerned that local government administrators, assistants, and support staff maintain high personal and professional standards and requires its members to submit complete and accurate credentials when they apply for employment.
- ICMA connects your advertisement to a network of ICMA members who are committed to the ICMA Code of Ethics. In addition to many professional benefits, it is valuable for a local government to encourage membership because ICMA members must agree to the principles of the Code as a condition of membership and are subject to peer review of their conduct under a well-established enforcement process.
- If you hire a nonmember of ICMA, encouraging membership in the association will bring those same benefits to both the individual, and your community. Details are available at icma.org/membership.
- If you would like a copy of ICMA’s Code of Ethics with Guidelines, download it at icma.org/ethics.
ICMA's Job Center offers additional features included in the cost for executive/deputy CAO ads
- Because recruiting an executive can take time to find a fit, your ad is renewable at no additional charge, for another 60 days, as much as you need until you find the right candidate.
- CAO/Deputy CAO ads are automatically included in the weekly ICMA Leadership Matters newsletter and Leadership Matters: Non-member Highlights as long as the ad is live. A 60 day ad reaches nearly 45,000 local government professionals each week, for about eight weeks.
Chief Selection Advantage
Great management doesn't begin or end with the CAO. It's a team effort. If you are searching for a police or fire chief, ICMA has a service to help you find the right chief for your community. Visit our Chief Selection Advantage page to learn more.
If you have any additional questions, please contact ICMA at email@example.com or call (202) 289-4262 / (800) 745-8780. Thank you again for trusting ICMA with your recruiting needs!