Thank you for using ICMA’s Career Network to advertise your executive opportunity. ICMA has resources to make the search and hiring process more efficient and effective:
- When you are conducting a search for an executive or for other positions, tou should check resume details to verify credentials, experience, and qualifications.
- ICMA maintains a list of executive search firms if you would like to contract out your search. Contact ICMA for a complimentary copy. We do not endorse any of these firms, but we provide them to you as a resource.
- We have a few sample RFPs for executive search services; searching in our Knowledge Network documents may reveal more as they are added:
- ICMA maintains a Job Center targeted to ICMA members and other local government professionals. Designed to be self-service, our state-of-the-art online job board is available directly to local governments and recruiters alike.
- ICMA's Knowledge Network has sample job descriptions for your use when crafting or revising your own. Below are specific examples. Additional CAO and non-CAO position descriptions are available in the hiring topic area:
Code of Ethics and Membership
- ICMA is concerned that local government administrators, assistants, and support staff maintain high personal and professional standards and requires its members to submit complete and accurate credentials when they apply for employment.
- ICMA connects your ad to a network of ICMA members who are committed to the ICMA Code of Ethics. In addition to the professional benefits managers gain by joining ICMA, local governments benefit as well. ICMA members must agree to the principles of the Code as a condition of membership and are subject to peer review of their conduct under a well-established enforcement process.
- If you hire a nonmember of ICMA, encouraging membership in the association will bring those same benefits to both the individual, and your community. Details are available at icma.org/membership.
- If you would like a copy of ICMA’s Code of Ethics with Guidelines, download it at icma.org/ethics.
ICMA's Job Center offers additional features that are included in the cost for executive/deputy CAO ads,
- Because recruiting an executive can take time to find a fit, your ad is renewable at no additional charge for and additional 60 days, to allow you to find the right candidate.
- CAO/Deputy CAO ads are automatically included in the weekly ICMA Leadership Matters newsletter and Leadership Matters: Non-member Highlights as long as the ad is live. A 60-day ad reaches nearly 45,000 local government professionals each week, for about eight weeks.
Chief Selection Advantage
Great management doesn't begin or end with the CAO. It's a team effort. If you are searching for a police or fire chief, ICMA has a service to help you find the right chief for your community. Visit our Chief Selection Advantage page to learn more.
If you have any additional questions, please contact ICMA at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 289-4262 / (800) 745-8780. Thank you again for trusting ICMA with your recruiting needs!