As many local government executives retire, the Cal-ICMA Coaching Program aims to prepare talented mid-career professionals to take their places in senior management roles.
This program serves audiences beyond California with ICMA and six ICMA State Association Partners (Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Oklahoma, and Oregon) sharing these resources on best practices and career development in local government.
2013 Coaching program webinars SCHEDULED
The Cal-ICMA Coaching Program entered its 10th year in 2013 and continues to expand services to support the profession. In 2012, over 3,000 attendees participated in the webinars, with more than 4,000 attendees in the program overall. We hope you'll join us in 2013.
Six new webinars scheduled for 2013. The descriptive brochure for the complete 2013 program is available here. If you have additional suggestions for presenters, contact Don Maruska at Cal-ICMA@DonMaruska.com.
All sessions are 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. PT, online via GoToWebinar.
- "Navigating Staff-Board Relationships--handling tough issues with elected officials" Wednesday, February 27. Click on "Live Audio & Archives" for a recording of this session as well as the PowerPoint presentation.
- "Managing Employee Compensation--issues and options" [cosponsored with CSMFO] Wednesday, March 20. Click on "Live Audio & Archives" for a recording of this session as well as the PowerPoint presentation.
- "Resiliency and Renewal--nurturing yourself and your organization" Wednesday, April 24. Click on "Live Audio & Archives" for a recording of this session as well as the PowerPoint presentation.
- "Economic Development--new strategies and best practices" [cosponsored with CSMFO] Wednesday, September 11. Click on "Live Audio & Archives" for a recording of this session as well as the PowerPoint presentation.
- "Managing Human Capital--best practices in hiring, developing, and leading talent" Thursday, October 17. Click on "Live Audio & Archives" for a recording of this session as well as the PowerPoint presentation.
- "Key Skill Sets for the 21st Century--what's changed and how you can respond" Thursday, November 14. Advance registration is required for this webinar. To register, click on https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/572924664.
Notes about the Webinars
a) Serving broad audiences: Each webinar offers value for up and comers, mid-managers, and senior managers.
b) Welcoming your suggestions for outstanding presenters: We invite your suggestions for presenters. Typically, each webinar includes engaging presentations from three leaders in the field sharing a diversity of perspectives, best practices, and concrete resources.
c) Supporting individual and organizational success: We encourage organizations to form groups to attend the webinars (live or recorded). The agenda for each webinar includes suggested post-webinar discussion questions.
d) Providing detailed Agendas for each webinar (including specific topics and presenters): These are available two weeks in advance of each webinar. You'll find them at the "Live Audio & Archives" tab of the Cal-ICMA Coaching page.
e) Registering in advance for each webinar: Each webinar requires its own advance registration. Notices with agenda information and registration details become available two weeks in advance of each webinar. The easiest way to receive notices automatically is through the complimentary email list. Sign up here.
f) Offering additional resources to support your career success: Be sure to visit the Cal-ICMA Coaching page for a wide range of resources, including information about 1-1 coaching with volunteer coaches, Career Compass columns, and other resources.
details ON Last year's (2012) COACHING PROGRAM OFFERINGS
For a re-cap of the 2012 program offerings, check out the 2012 Cal-ICMA Coaching Program Brochure. It provided the details, including dates, times, topics, and descriptions for all six 90 minute sessions.
Cal-ICMA Coaching Program Goals
Through a volunteer network of experienced local government executives and senior assistants serving as coaches, the Cal-ICMA Coaching Program aims to:
- Support the professional and personal development of new and aspiring managers.
- Encourage an ethos of mentoring and coaching at all levels in the local government management profession.
- Provide opportunities for successful local government managers to share their expertise in ways that are effective, efficient, and personally rewarding.
- Click here for the new 2012 Cal-ICMA Coaching Program brochure.
Join the Complimentary Coaching Program Email List
Please click here to join the complimentary Coaching Program email list and to receive notices of program services and activities.
Note: In order to subscribe to the 'Coaching Program' email list and to manage your newsletter subscription preferences going forward, an icma.org site login is required. There is no membership required and there is no cost to create an account. An icma.org account will also give you access to some additional site content. Please login if you already have an account, or click 'Create Account' in the upper right hand corner of this page to create a new, free account.
Questions or suggestions? Please Contact: Don Maruska, Master Certified Coach; Director, Cal-ICMA Coaching Program; email@example.com.
The Coaching Program focuses on the development needs of two groups:
- New local public agency executives or persons applying to become local public agency executives to enhance their prospects for success through targeted support at their critical initial stages of leadership responsibility.
- Up-and-coming local government management talent to outline career pathways and opportunities, provide guidance and support on ways to prepare for advancement, and enrich the network of relationships and resources to enjoy rewarding careers.