As many local government executives retire, the Cal-ICMA Coaching Program aims to prepare talented mid-career professionals to take their places in senior management roles.
This program serves audiences beyond California with ICMA and nine ICMA State Association Partners (Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon and Wisconsin) sharing these resources on best practices and career development in local government.
2014 COACHING PROGRAM WEBINARS Scheduled: New Brochure Available
The six webinar topics selected for 2014 were the highest rated in a poll of leaders across the ICMA State Association Coaching Partners and sponsoring professional associations. We recruit top presenters from across the country. Thanks to sponsors, there is no charge for participation.
Here are some of the major innovations for 2014:
- Advance surveying of leaders across the profession for topics and presenters of most value for professional development in local government and most convenient dates to offer them. The webinar schedule attached is the result.
- Availability of advance registration now for all webinars so that agencies and individuals can register immediately for any and all webinars -- no need to wait for further notices.
- Integrated audio and video digital recordings so that people who can't make the scheduled times can view at other times. This includes full-screen video options for group viewing. Now any agency and any person in any time zone with internet access can have a high quality viewing experience on any platform -- PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android, tablets, etc. If you can reach GoToWebinar for the live sessions or YouTube for recordings, the Coaching Program is there to serve you.
Click here for the 2014 Coaching Program Brochure.
Click here for the 2014 schedule and links to registration information for each Webinar.
Click here for a printable PDF schedule for the 2014 Coaching Program.
JOIN THE COMPLIMENTARY COACHING PROGRAM EMAIL LIST
Please click here to join the complimentary Coaching Program email list
You will receive regular notices of program services and activities.
NOTE: In order to subscribe to the 'Coaching Program' email list and to manage your newsletter subscription preferences going forward, an icma.org site login is required. There is no membership required and there is no cost to create an account. An icma.org account will also give you access to some additional site content. Please login if you already have an account, or click 'Create Account' in the upper right hand corner of this page to create a new, free account.
Questions or suggestions? Please Contact Don Maruska, Master Certified Coach; Director, Cal-ICMA Coaching Program; firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 Coaching program webinars HELD
The Cal-ICMA Coaching Program entered its 10th year in 2013 and continues to expand services to support the profession. In 2012, over 3,000 attendees participated in the webinars, with more than 4,000 attendees in the program overall. Six new webinars were featured in 2013.
The descriptive brochure for the complete 2013 program is available here.
"Navigating Staff-Board Relationships--handling tough issues with elected officials" Wednesday, February 27. Click on "Agendas & Archives" for a recording of this session as well as the PowerPoint presentation.
"Managing Employee Compensation--issues and options" [cosponsored with CSMFO] Wednesday, March 20. Click on "Agendas & Archives" for a recording of this session as well as the PowerPoint presentation.
"Resiliency and Renewal--nurturing yourself and your organization" Wednesday, April 24. Click on "Agendas & Archives" for a recording of this session as well as the PowerPoint presentation.
"Economic Development--new strategies and best practices" [cosponsored with CSMFO] Wednesday, September 11. Click on "Agendas & Archives" for a recording of this session as well as the PowerPoint presentation.
"Managing Human Capital--best practices in hiring, developing, and leading talent" Thursday, October 17. Click on "Agendas & Archives" for a recording of this session as well as the PowerPoint presentation.
"Key Skill Sets for the 21st Century--what's changed and how you can respond" Thursday, November 14. Click on "Agendas & Archives" for a recording of this session as well as the PowerPoint presentation.
Notes About the Webinars
a) Serving broad audiences: Each webinar offers value for up and comers, mid-managers, and senior managers.
b) Welcoming your suggestions for outstanding presenters: We invite your suggestions for presenters. Typically, each webinar includes engaging presentations from three leaders in the field sharing a diversity of perspectives, best practices, and concrete resources.
c) Supporting individual and organizational success: We encourage organizations to form groups to attend the webinars (live or recorded). The agenda for each webinar includes suggested post-webinar discussion questions.
d) Providing detailed Agendas for each webinar (including specific topics and presenters): These are available two weeks in advance of each webinar. You'll find them at the "Agendas & Archives" tab of the Cal-ICMA Coaching page.
e) Registering in advance for each webinar: Each webinar requires its own advance registration. Notices with agenda information and registration details become available two weeks in advance of each webinar. The easiest way to receive notices automatically is through the complimentary email list. Sign up here.
f) Offering additional resources to support your career success: Be sure to visit the Cal-ICMA Coaching page for a wide range of resources, including information about 1-1 coaching with volunteer coaches, Career Compass columns, and other resources.
Details on the 2012 Coaching Program Offerings
For a re-cap of the 2012 program offerings, check out the 2012 Cal-ICMA Coaching Program Brochure. It provided the details, including dates, times, topics, and descriptions for all six 90 minute sessions.
Cal-ICMA Coaching Program Goals
Through a volunteer network of experienced local government executives and senior assistants serving as coaches, the Cal-ICMA Coaching Program aims to:
- Support the professional and personal development of new and aspiring managers.
- Encourage an ethos of mentoring and coaching at all levels in the local government management profession.
- Provide opportunities for successful local government managers to share their expertise in ways that are effective, efficient, and personally rewarding.
- Click here for the new 2012 Cal-ICMA Coaching Program brochure.
The Coaching Program focuses on the development needs of two groups:
- New local public agency executives or persons applying to become local public agency executives to enhance their prospects for success through targeted support at their critical initial stages of leadership responsibility.
- Up-and-coming local government management talent to outline career pathways and opportunities, provide guidance and support on ways to prepare for advancement, and enrich the network of relationships and resources to enjoy rewarding careers.