As many local government professionals retire, the Cal-ICMA Coaching Program aims to tap their expertise and prepare and strengthen a pipeline of new leaders at all levels.
This program serves audiences beyond California with ICMA and fourteen ICMA State Association Partners (Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin) sharing these resources on best practices and career development in local government.
Register now for 2015 webinars
There is no charge to register. Each webinar requires its own registration. Click on a webinar below to register. We encourage you to register even if you are unable to atend the live session. You will receive an automatic notice when the digital recording is available.
- Developing Effective Relationships with Elected Officials: 10:00-11:30 a.m. PT, Thursday, March 5
- Best Practices in Strategic Planning and Action: 1:00-2:30 p.m. PT, Wednesday, April 1
- Moving from Conflict to Civility and Problem Solving: 10:00-11:30 a.m. PT, Thursday, May 14
- Engaging Employees Effectively: 1:00-2:30 p.m. PT, Wednesday, September 16
- Serving Diverse Populations Successfully: 1:00-2:30 p.m. PT, Wednesday, October 21
- Best Practices for Managing Social Media & Gossip: 10:00- 11:30 a.m. PT, Thursday, November 5
Missed a webinar? Watch it full screen 24/7. High quality, full screen video recordings are available for these and other webinars. Click here for the Agendas & Archives. The Agendas include a PDF of the presentation materials which you can download or print with our browser controls. The Videos are now in mp4 format, and you can click on full screen for personal or group viewing and discussion.
some of the major innovations for 2015
- Expanded surveying of leaders across the U.S. for the most compelling topics.
- Mix of times to accommodate different schedules.
- Continued upgrades to the Agenda packets for each webinar so that attendees have valuable resource materials to expand learning and exchange sample materials that will help your members put ideas into practice quickly and effectively.
- Continued attention to integrated audio and video digital recordings so that people who can't make the scheduled times can view at other times. This includes full-screen video options for group viewing. Now any agency and any person with internet access can have a high quality viewing experience in mp4 format.
COMPLIMENTARY COACHING PROGRAM EMAIL LIST
Please click here to join the complimentary Coaching Program email list.
You will receive regular notices of program services and activities.
NOTE: In order to subscribe to the 'Coaching Program' email list and to manage your newsletter subscription preferences going forward, an icma.org site login is required. There is no membership required and there is no cost to create an account. An icma.org account will also give you access to some additional site content. Please login if you already have an account, or click 'Create Account' in the upper right hand corner of this page to create a new, free account.
Questions or suggestions? Please Contact Don Maruska, Master Certified Coach; Director, Cal-ICMA Coaching Program; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes About the Webinars
a) Serving broad audiences: Each webinar offers value for up and comers, mid-managers, and senior managers.
b) Welcoming your suggestions for outstanding presenters: We invite your suggestions for presenters. Typically, each webinar includes engaging presentations from three leaders in the field sharing a diversity of perspectives, best practices, and concrete resources.
c) Supporting individual and organizational success: We encourage organizations to form groups to attend the webinars (live or recorded). The agenda for each webinar includes suggested post-webinar discussion questions.
d) Providing detailed Agendas for each webinar (including specific topics and presenters): These are available two weeks in advance of each webinar. You'll find them at the "Agendas & Archives" tab of the Cal-ICMA Coaching page.
e) Registering in advance for each webinar: Each webinar requires its own advance registration. Notices with agenda information and registration details become available two weeks in advance of each webinar. The easiest way to receive notices automatically is through the complimentary email list. Sign up here.
other coaching program resources
Be sure to check out the other resources in the "Coaching Corner" navigation on the righthand side of this page.
Coaching Program & Resources describes 1-1 coaching with volunteer coaches, online interviews with senior managers and emerging leders, and other benefits.
Career Compass columns, providing advice from Dri. Frank Benest, ICMA Liaison for Next Generation Initiatives.
Coaches Gallery with list of 100 volunteer coaches and their contact information.
Cal-ICMA Coaching Program Goals
Through a volunteer network of experienced local government executives and senior assistants serving as coaches, the Cal-ICMA Coaching Program aims to:
- Support the professional and personal development of new and aspiring managers.
- Encourage an ethos of mentoring and coaching at all levels in the local government management profession.
- Provide opportunities for successful local government managers to share their expertise in ways that are effective, efficient, and personally rewarding.
The Coaching Program focuses on the development needs of two groups:
- New local public agency executives or persons applying to become local public agency executives to enhance their prospects for success through targeted support at their critical initial stages of leadership responsibility.
- Up-and-coming local government management talent to outline career pathways and opportunities, provide guidance and support on ways to prepare for advancement, and enrich the network of relationships and resources to enjoy rewarding careers.