PM magazine asked administrators around the world what they thought the local government management profession would be like in the year 2020. Their thoughtful individual predictions, published in the January/February 2012 issue’s cover story, “Picturing It: The Year 2020,” show several trends. Here is a brief summary of what they see for the future:
- IT developments will allow for greater productivity
- Service delivery will be streamlined
- Resident engagement will become the norm
- Performance measurement, quality control, and benchmarking will be emphasized
- A commitment to sustainability will be standard
- Quality of life and a sense of place will be important to residents
- Teamwork and consensus building will be essential skills
- Working effectively with diverse and aging populations also will be a major skill.
To read more detail on the administrators’ predictions, read the cover story on PM’s website.
to rate or comment on this